Club iGen
4 Novembre 2000
41 540
4 334
St Germain en Laye - FRANCE
Lu sur www.macfixit.com:

Quick Time 6 Pro: Microsoft MPEG-4 and
Camcorders; iMovie Capabilities
MPEG-4 cameras Joachim Schaller reports difficulty using his Panasonic NV-GX7 Camcorder with QuickTime 6 Pro, even though the device is advertised as being able to save MPEG-4 movies.

"I recorded a few seconds in 'fine' mode on the card and transferred it to my Mac using an SD (MMC) card reader. Double clicking the file does not open QuickTime 6 Pro. I changed the extension to .MOV, and the QuickTime icon appeared. Double clicking the file starts QuickTime 6 but an error message says that the file format is unknown. The manual suggests I use Windows Media Player on the Windows platform."

UPDATE: As we suspected, Eric Smith confirms that the Panasonic NV-GX7 uses Microsoft's flavor of the MPEG-4 format, which is not standards compliant, and therefore incompatible with QuickTime 6 Pro.

The Mac version of Windows Media Player 7.1 includes support for both standard (ISO) MPEG-4 and the Microsoft MPEG-4 codec version 2.0 and 3.0.

J'en conclu que Microsoft refait le coup du JAVA en détournant une norme pour en faire un format quasi-propriétaire (en jouant sur la part de marché de Windows pour imposer son format au détriment de la norme)... /ubbthreads/http://forums.macg.co/vbulletin/images/smiliesold/blush.gif